Monday, April 12, 2010

Activism Log 8

Michael Farmer

Nina Perez

WST 3015

12 April 2010

Activism Log 8

Activism:

This weekend our group had our donation drive for Animal Safehouse of Brevard. Our event took place Louie and Maria’s Italian Restaurant in east Orlando. Our goal was collect donations to provide to foster parents and, more importantly, to encourage guests to become foster parents for the Animal Safehouse of Brevard. Getting to the event was a stressful time for me, my car ended up breaking down. However, I borrowed a friends car and brought all the donations I had collected through the past months so we could make sure they were all together. We sucessfully collected more than the expected amount of donations we expected we got rave reviews from our service learning agency, and overall our event was a huge sucess.

Reflection:

I was glas to be able to connect with my classmates outside of class. I got to know my collegaues on a deeper level that I have all semester. Although we were very satifsfied with our results, of course everyone hopes that their activism can start a movement. We took comfort in the words we found in Fight Like A Girl, “No act is too small; you may never know the full extend of your impact. Activism is contagious. While you may be one person, your voice and actions can touch others, whose voices and actions can touch others, and so forth” (Seeley 16).


Reciprocity:

I had a fabulous experience meeting people who came by to support our event and enjoy some yummy pizza. Just putting this small event together over this semester has really made me realize the tough work it takes to make an organization like Animal Safe House tick. I felt awesome knowing that we touched lots of new people and brought them into the folds of the work of Animal Safe House, I know lots of these folks will help the organization keep up the steam.

Seely, Megan. Fight Like a Girl: How to be a Fearless Feminist. New York and London: New York UP, 2007. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment