Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Activism Log 5

Michael Farmer

Nina Perez

WST 3015

14 April 2010



Activism:

This week was a slow one for me. I continued to spread the work about our event that is in just a few weeks through facebook and by word of mouth. I also worked on my info board for the day of the event.

Reflection:

According to Paula Ettelbrick, the author of Since when is marriage a path to liberation?, Homosexual couples “must compare ourselves to married couples” (318). This quote made me think of alot of the friends I know who are gay couples in Florida and cannot adopt. Many of them have pets who they adore and think of as their children . I'm sure that it's doubly important for these types of couples to have a rescource like Animal Safe House.

Reciprocity:

Thinking about the work of Animal Safe House through the lense of my gay male friends and their pets expanded my traditional thinking of men and domestic violence. We're all seceptible to becoming victims of domestic violence regardless of our gender.



Work Cited

Ettelbrick, Paula. "Since When Is Marriage a Path to Liberation?" Women's Lives: Multicultural Perspectives 5 (2010): 317-320. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment