Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Activism Log 4

Michael Farmer

Nina Perez

WST 3015

14 April 2010


Activism:

Our team this week worked alot to build momentum in the run up to our donation drive event. We continued to use every opportunity to hand out flyers, I attended multiple Democratic Party events and used them as a platform to spread the word. I was encouraged by people in the community and their positive responses. I've had several verbal commitments to make donations. I do worry about people being willing to take on fostering, but I got one new foster parent this week who signe up online.

Reflection:

Megan Seely in Fight like a Girl espouses that, “Throughout the world, in many cultures, there is an expectation that women are to be the keepers of the faith in their families and that they carry the responsibility to pass on these traditions to their children” (105). With this in mind it delivers an extra sense of commitment to this cause and the depth of it's importance. If society learns it's values and faith from women we must do what we can as a society to respect and treat them equally. We must have strong women figures for which our youth can look t for inspiration.

Reciprocity:

Recently at a mixer for a local gay rights groups I spoke a little bit about my project with Animal Safe House, the response I got was overwhelming affirming and positive. I was thrilled at the intersectionality that was revealed of the opression of LGBT peope and women in domestic violence situation.



Work Cited

Seely, Megan. Fight like a Girl: How to Be a Fearless Feminist. New York: New York UP, 2007. Print

No comments:

Post a Comment